Friday, March 8, 2013

Thoughts on Spiritual Growth


As the sun sets this Friday night I find myself reflecting on issues of spiritual growth. I sometimes feel that my spirituality isn’t on the level of a “good” Christian, much less a pastor. If spiritual growth is just regular devotion and a regularly scheduled prayer life then along the spiritual babe-mature Christian timeline I fall somewhere around the toddler range. I feel like I should be so much further along. By now I should be hearing the audible voice or “leading” of God telling me what to do and where to go. That’s how pastors and spiritual mystics describe their experiences. “I felt impressed to go to this place…” or “I was led to talk to this person…”. These are common phrases uttered by the “spiritual” person. While I can honestly say there are a few instances where I feel I had those types of experiences (i.e. meeting and marrying my wife), I cannnot say it has been a part of my daily experience.
 Is that all there is to the spiritual life? Devotions, prayer, regular church attendance? If so, then I fear most professed Christians are destined to walk a long empty road. But I have come to the realization in the last few years that true spirituality is shaped in everyday life through everyday experiences. Is not spending time with and loving your wife or husband a spiritual experience? Isn’t interacting with neighbors and coworkers sometimes a test in spiritual strength? For those with children, aren’t sacrificing 15 minutes of morning devotional time in order to fulfill the ministry of preparing your kid’s lunch or being present for their extracurricular activities acts of “devotion” in themselves?
The point is, God does not make us “spiritual” because of routine devotional exercises. We are made holy by our daily ins and outs, by our daily interactions with people. We grow through experiences and through hardships. We learn through mistakes and failures. Spirituality is the process of living. For those in Christ, who place their belief and trust in Him, just keep on living and spiritual growth will take place.

Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...